These are semi-regular, student-organized workshops in which students and faculty exchange expertise in research techniques. In each session, someone leads the members through the basics of some technique (often software). From Praat to LaTeX, from statistical software to statistical thinking – we try to cover anything that will be of use to those doing research.
Location: Totem Field Studios – seminar room (Rm. 103)
Time: Variable — see emails sent over the dept. list. Sessions on this site are at 12:30pm if not otherwise specified.
Workshop Organizers: Marianne Huijsmans and Avery Ozburn (firstname.lastname@example.org, aozburn[at]gmail.com)
- Statistics skill-swapping workshop – Oct. 19, 2016 – 12:15-1:45 pm
- Intro to LaTeX and UBC-Specific Class and Style Sheets – Nov. 14th – Led by Natalie Weber
- Processing Ultrasound Data: An Introduction to Python Scripting and Command Line Utilities – Nov. 7th – Led by Blake Allen
- Presentation Skills: Ethos, Pathos, and Logos – Mar. 26th – Led by Dr. Jon Strang
- Beamer: Professional, Powerful Slide Creation – Mar. 23rd – Led by Anita Szakay
- BibTeX: References Made Easy (and Fun!) – Mar. 12th, 2012 – Led by Natalie Weber
- Creating Incredible Documents: Basic LaTeX Tricks – Feb. 6th, 2012 – Led by Andrei Anghelescu
- The ABC’s of Citation Management Tools – Jan. 27th, 2012 – Led by Jon Strang
- Intro to LaTeX: Installation and Basic Document Design – Nov.25th, 2011 – Led by Anita Szakay and Natalie Weber
Workshops from Previous Years
“How To” for the departmental Website – Led by: Gunnar, Hotze & Masaru
Library Research Tools Take 2: Tools for Keeping Current – Led by: Susan Atkey (Linguistics Librarian)
LaTeX workshop – Led by: Martin Oberg — Martin is planning to take us through an example of how to convert a .doc file (full of graphs and example numbers) to a LaTeX file.
Paradigm (software for running experiments) – Led by: Yuwen Lai
LaTeX – Led by: Tyler Peterson
Bibliographical Software – Led by: Martin Oberg, Mario Chavez-Peron, Mark Scott, Elizabeth Ferch, Yuwen Lai
Praat Scripting 1 – Led by: Yuwen Lai
Praat Scripting 2 – Led by: Donald Derrick
R (statistical software) – Led by: Anita Szakay
Library Research Tools – Led by: Susan Atkey (Linguistics Librarian)
* Donald has kindly given us the slides he used for the Praat-scripting workshop – they can be downloaded (as a .zip file) below.